Re: getting rid of "testing"

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 08:07:51PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 8:04 PM Michael Stone wrote:
Having "stable" in sources.list is broken, because one day stuff goes
from working to not working, which requires manual intervention, at
which point someone could have just changed the name. Having codenames
in sources.list is broken, because even people who have been developers
for two decades can't remember which release is which without looking it
up. (Which is harder than it should be; maybe we should have had
/etc/debian-releasenames or somesuch from the beginning. lsb_release -a
is helpful when available but doesn't have context, and many users don't
know it exists.)

Personally, I can remember the names and their order much better than
which version goes with which codename or suite :)

Well, every problem domain has its rainman :) For the rest of us, there's google.