Re: getting rid of "testing"

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 08:08:22AM +0200, Ansgar wrote:
> what do people think about getting rid of current suite names ("stable",
> "testing", "unstable") for most purposes?  We already recommend using
> codenames instead as those don't change their meaning when a new release
> happens.

Even if we stop advertising them, could we keep them as a generic set of
aliases?[1]

> Related to that I would like to be able to write something like
>   deb http://deb.debian.org/debian debian11 main
>   deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security debian11-security main
> in sources.list as codenames confuse people.

Can you please elaborate on the "confuse people"?

I think adding such names would be a good idea, as long as we stay on
simple versions.  Or we use "debian-11", then it does not look that ugly
to do "debian-23.42".[2]

What would you do about sid?  It got no version.

On related notes:
For Azure we currently plan (yeah, still not finished as MS does not
provide input, be we still need to change it):
- debian-10
- debian-11
- debian-sid

Regards,
Bastian

[1]: I think apt would need to learn about aliases.[2]  As would dak, to
maintain them automatically.
[2]: Maybe we could even use them for bullseye/updates ->
bullseye-security and keep the former as alias without apt complaining
about it.
--
There's coffee in that nebula!
		-- Capt. Kathryn Janeway, Star Trek: Voyager, "The Cloud"