Re: getting rid of "testing"

On Ma, 25 iun 19, 08:08:22, Ansgar wrote:

> what do people think about getting rid of current suite names ("stable",
> "testing", "unstable") for most purposes?  We already recommend using
> codenames instead as those don't change their meaning when a new release
> happens.

AFAIK "unstable" is always symlinked to "sid", so it wouldn't make a
difference and also manages expectations ;)

"stable", besides significantly changing it's meaning at release may
also be actively harmful if one dist-upgrades by mistake[1] with
'stable' in sources.list.

While dist-upgrades are significantly smoother the Release Notes still
have important items that must be taken care of before/during/after
dist-upgrade.

Depending on your intention using "testing" may or may not be what you
want to have in sources.list even through releases.

Users that dist-upgrade early or install the next release while it's
still in testing for $reasons (e.g. hardware support, newer software
that is not available in backports, etc.) should always use the codename
to avoid surprises at release (as per above for "stable).

Those who want to stick with "testing" no matter what I believe[2] are
actually looking for a rolling distribution so it would probably make
sense to rename "testing" to "rolling"[3][4].

[1] because 'apt-get upgrade' doesn't install new packages many users
have developed a habit to always run 'apt-get dist-upgrade', e.g. to
upgrade their kernel package (in case of ABI change).

Users are slowly migrating to 'apt upgrade', but running 'apt-get
dist-upgrade' on stable just to get security upgrades will not disappear
anytime soon.

[2] based on more than 10 years experience on debian-user.

[3] or remove the "testing" symlink/name and add the "bob" rolling
release that was proposed in

[4] or "roling" to emphasize that it's incomplete :p

Kind regards,
Andrei