Re: Programs contain ads - acceptable for packaging for Debian?

On 20/06/19 15.49, W. Martin Borgert wrote:
Quoting Bagas Sanjaya <bagasdotme@gmail.com>:
Suppose that an upstream has released a program which its license conforms to DFSG (named ZZZ), but when I test it, ads placed by the upstream appear (such as pop up ads). Since ads can affect user experience of ZZZ, but at the same time the upstream get paid by ad networks which he place the ads into ZZZ, would it acceptable to package ZZZ for Debian?

Side question, because you mention "ad networks":
Does showing the ad involve a potential privacy violation?
I.e. does showing the ad involve any network traffic,
leaking the users IP address?
If so, I strongly suggest to patch ZZZ accordingly.

Otherwise, I would leave it to the package maintainer,
whether they like to disable the ad or not,
but that's more a question for debian-legal@lists.debian.org.

Such ads is displayed only when users have Internet connection, and there is no way to patch ZZZ in order to remove ads (or we have to buy "pro" version which doesn't contain ads and adds more features).