Re: Programs contain ads - acceptable for packaging for Debian?

On Thu, 2019-06-20 at 13:15 +0700, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
> Suppose that an upstream has released a program which its license
> conforms to DFSG (named ZZZ), but when I test it, ads placed by the
> upstream appear (such as pop up ads). Since ads can affect user
> experience of ZZZ, but at the same time the upstream get paid by ad
> networks which he place the ads into ZZZ, would it acceptable to
> package ZZZ for Debian?

I don't know whether it's relevant to your question, but we already
have software in Debian that displays pop-up ads.  Zoneminder displays
a pop-up nag for donations.  You can turn it oft, but unless you delve
into raw SQL hackery of the underlying DB you will see it at least
once.