AMDGPU+OpenCL with Debian?

Hello,

Running Debian unstable, I failed to set up OpenCL to work with BOINC
and an AMD RX580. The card worked just fine with the monitor, but it was
not recognised as an OpenCL device by BOINC. When I then tried to
install the 19.10 release of the driver AMD provides on
https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-580
on our distribution, the kernel module did not compile.

I then installed Ubuntu and basically did not need to do anything - it
just worked upon installing boinc-client-opencl. I could also install
the .debs provided by AMD with no difficulty. Are there others on this
list with similar experiences under Debian? Is there something we
can/want to do to help that situation?

Cheers,

Steffen