Re: Consensus Call: Do We Want to Require or Recommend DH; comments by 2019-06-16

On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 01:26:47PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:

> Hi. Almost two weeks ago [1] I  started a discussion on whether we
> wanted to increase the strength of our recommendation of the dh
> sequencer from debhelper.
> This message is a consensus call summarizing my reading of the
> discussion.
>
>   [1]
>   https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/tsla7fqjzyv.fsf@suchdamage.org

The magic of dh comes by making assumption on the upstream build system.
When these assumptions are correct then it is much less verbose than
debhelper. When they are not correct the maintainer needs to override
all incorrect guesses, in addition to writing the correct code, at which
point the benefit of dh is greatly reduced.

Updating dh to a new compat level might include extra assumption that
will then need to be overrided.

The maintainer is the best placed to know when the trade off should be.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.