Re: scratch buildds

On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 10:51:56PM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> Thus, what would you guys say about a new distribution, "scratch"?  It would
> be a kind of extra-experimental that doesn't put its build results anywhere
> persistent.  Throwing away built .debs would be ok, keeping just logs.

I think this is inconvenient as well. As a developer, one has to wait
and check the logs, then do the real upload. Wouldn't it be much better
if a good build with no lintian errors, no autopkgtest failures, no
piuparts failures, etc. would just move to unstable without a delay?

Wait, this reminds me of something. There was this other distribution...
Ubuntu! They have this ${dist}-proposed. I think we've been discussing
this since at least 2013[1] (like bikesheds).

Unlike the ${dist}-proposed variant, the scratch distribution can be set
up entirely outside Debian. It only needs someone doing the work with no
involvement of DSA. Wait, this reminds me of something. Luca Falavigna
put up debomatic-${arch}.debian.net. And it has piuparts and lintian!

Looks like we already have scratch for years and nobody noticed.

I guess what we need now is something different: We've got lots of tools
and lots of tool diversity. Different people know different tools, some
of which solve the same tasks. A recent discussion on debhelper has
indicated that our tool diversity has a cost that not everyone is
willing to pay. As much was need diverse people in the project, we also
need to figure out how to reduce this tool diversity.

Helmut

[1] http://penta.debconf.org/dc13_schedule/events/1028.en.html