Re: Debian, so ugly and unwieldy!

Adam Borowski wrote:

> This is about GUI appearance and ergonomy.
>
> I'll concentrate at XFCE, as I consider GNOME3's UI a lost cause, thus I'd
> find it hard to bring constructive arguments there.
>
> I also hate with a passion so-called "UX designers".  Those are folks who
> created Windows 8's Metro tiles, lightgray-on-white "Material Design" flat
> unmarked controls, and so on.  They work from a Mac while not having to
> actually use what they produce.

I empathise, understand and agree with many of the concerns that you
raised in your message. It is therefore particularly tragic that you
chose to open your remarks and suggestions in such a manner.

Expressing distain for the status quo and then compounding that by
passing judgement on the people who may be in the very position to
improve it seems, at best, unlikely to achieve our shared aims. It
furthermore frames any discussion in an unnecessarily negative light,
filtering responses to those who are willing to engage and contribute
to the conversation on combative terms, ensuring a systematic
observation bias in the outcome.

As others have mentioned, I hope that Debian remains a project that
makes it evermore welcoming to individuals who can advance our aims
and we were able to continue to discuss sensitive topics in a
collective and constructive manner. In that light, I would gently ask
that all well-meaning and sincere proposals to our lists make pains to
avoid all possibility of being accused of the aforementioned sins.

Best wishes,

--
      ,''`.
     : :'  :     Chris Lamb