Re: Question about Debian build infrastructure

On Sat, 08 Jun 2019 at 02:25:44 +0200, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> Am Do., 6. Juni 2019 um 20:33 Uhr schrieb Kyle Edwards
> <kyle.edwards@kitware.com>:
> > 2. According to https://wiki.debian.org/BuilddSetup, there seems to be
> > a distinction between the build broker (wanna-build) and the build
> > workers (buildd). Do either of these roles have their own OS images one
> > can download?
>
> AFAIK there are no OS images, but I would bet that the buildd machines
> have an Ansible recipe or something similar somewhere, as those are
> continuously updated and refreshed.

I think the Debian sysadmin team (DSA) use Puppet for this.
<https://salsa.debian.org/dsa-team/mirror/dsa-puppet/> is a public mirror.

> Launchpad and the Open Build Service[4] may also be very interesting
> options. The Open Build Service comes with a few of its own problems
> (by being designed for RPM in the first place), but in general it is
> very neat and may be exactly what you want for this usecase - it's
> definitely a solution to look into, and I know some people use it to
> manage repositories for internal deployments.

My employer (Collabora) uses OBS for Debian derivatives, but we've had
to make some changes to make it work better with .dsc/.deb. I'm not sure
how many of our changes have gone upstream already and how many are still
delta in the Debian packages; at one point we also had downstream delta
beyond what's in Debian, but I hope that has all been fixed now.

    smcv