Re: Debian, so ugly and unwieldy!

Hey Adam

On 2019/06/07 17:24, Adam Borowski wrote:> I'll concentrate at XFCE
<mid sentence snipping>

I proposed most of what you said in this email (and some more) in the
#debian-xfce channel a few months ago. They were actually surprisingly
open to having such config changes and suggested I prepare a proposal, I
was going to put something together but ran out of time before buster
freeze happened, but they're certainly more open to this than the gnome
team was in the past (and I'm hoping that has changed too over the years).

> * the default icon theme is fugly
>
>   => Default to eg. faenza?

They specifically disliked faenza and obsidian, although I think
obsidian is a bit nicer. Our default Xfce icon theme is broken (it
doesn't have a run menu icon that is missing by default that sticks out
like a big eye-sore) so I don't think it would take *too* much
convincing to switch to even those because at this point nearly anything
is better than what we have already.

> In general: could we please do something to appearance beyond choosing a
> wallpaper once a release?  I'm a code hacker not a theme maker, so I see
> this only once it gets in my way -- but text readability does matter.

I meant to create a session for exactly this at DebConf but I'm
leading/co-leading a handful of sessions already and don't want to overload.

I do think we need a proper discussion around:
 * theming
 * our process for selecting wallpapers (particularly the timing, it
really doesn't have to be in a latter part of the release cycle)
 * choosing defaults that is appealing and has sane defaults, there are
limits to how far we can push this, gtk3 has horrible (and technically
non-existant) theming support with defaults that kind of suck for most
people so there's some technical limits on what's possible there but
improvements are certainly possible

I'll be happy to take that forward kicking it off in a #debian-meeting
meeting post-debconf if no one else is interested.

-Jonathan
--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) <jcc>
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer - https://wiki.debian.org/highvoltage