Re: speeding up installs

Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> writes:

> There are two massive recent improvements:
> * eatmydata helps a lot, and eating a power-lossed install is not a loss

We did an experiment at work about four years ago with using eatmydata
inside a D-I run, and had to revert because we ran into no end of problems
with zero-length files after the first system reboot, even though we did
an explicit sync before reboot.

This is potentially obsolete data (this was with Ubuntu 12.04, IIRC), but
it's made me fairly cautious of eatmydata ever since.

Also, I think your proposal is not to use LD_PRELOAD and other hacks but
to instead have a native package installation mode that understands when
to sync, and perhaps that wouldn't have the same behavior.