Re: Bits from the DPL (May 2019)

On Thu, 06 Jun 2019, Sam Hartman wrote:

>     Bastian> Hi Sam
>     Bastian> On Thu, Jun 06, 2019 at 11:57:41AM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
>     >> However, it's a lot easier to get a foo-guest account on salsa
>     >> than it is to get a foo guest account in Debian LDAP.
>
>     Bastian> A guest account in Debian LDAP does not get a Salsa
>     Bastian> account, at least not an usable one.  Currently only users
>     Bastian> in the Debian group are allowed.
>
> No, but my understanding is that basically anyone on the internet can go
> sign up for foo-guest at salsa.
>
>     >> There are transitions like someone retiring from the project
>     >> where we actually would be delighted if they continued to use
>     >> salsa in some capacity.
>
>     Bastian> The largest technical problem with that is providing the
>     Bastian> user with a valid e-mail address.  Apart from that we need
>     Bastian> DSA to properly define states in LDAP.
>
> OK, that's useful input.
> I do feel we're talking past each other here though.
>
> Norbert and some other folks said they wanted salsa to behave
> differently.
>
> Alex jumped in and said "salsa doesn't work that way."
> Sure, we all know that.
> And yet, salsa and really all of Debian can change if we want them to
> and the right we are willing to do the work.
No, I said why salsa works the way it works. If you want a special state for
"not so really disabled accounts" salsa isn't the right place to implement
that.

Btw. nobody ever came to us and said "Hey, that account is disabled, are
there any options to behave differently". So the steps are: define how those
"not so really disabled" account should behave, implement them in udldap and
then we can adjust the syncer.

Alex