Re: FYI/RFC: early-rng-init-tools

On 24/02/2019 20:00, Philipp Kern wrote:
On 2/24/2019 8:52 PM, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
In buster/sid, I noticed a massive delay booting up my laptop
and some virtual machines, which was reduced by hitting the
Shift and Ctrl keys multiple times randomly during boot; a
message “random: crng init done” would appear, and boot would
continue.

This is a well-known problem, and there are several bugs about
this; new in buster/sid compared to stretch is that it also
blocks urandom reads (I was first hit in the tomcat init script
from this). This is especially noticeable if you use a sysvinit
non-parallel boot, but I’m sure it also affects all others.
FTR this is supposedly fixed on the main architectures featuring an RNG
in the CPU by linux 4.19.20-1, which enabled RANDOM_TRUST_CPU. Which Ben
announced on this list[1] earlier this month.

Be aware RANDOM_TRUST_CPU depends on: |CONFIG_X86 <https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/X86.html> || CONFIG_S390 <https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/S390.html> || CONFIG_PPC <https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/PPC.html>|

I should have thanked Ben for turning this on sooner, in the mean time I am preparing email to list for other architectures (Mainly ARM at the moment I admit)

/Andy