Re: Unifying logging by default

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 02:44:37PM -0800, Josh Triplett wrote:

> Both syslog and journald support multi-line log messages; I'd *love* to
> see /var/log/aptitude and /var/log/apt/history.log end up in syslog or
> journald.

Both journald and syslog have problems with retention policies, or
rather the lack of - and journald is especially bad. In a production
environment, I want to keep package upgrade history going back several
months or even years - but I want to purge cron job execution history
after a week. journald simply cannot do that; syslog can if you log
everything to distinct files - getting back to where we are now, just
with lots of extra complexity.

Gabor