Re: Unifying logging by default

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 11:53:24PM +0100, Guillem Jover wrote:
> * The log data is "chroot" specific. This applies to all of the package
>   management logs. Logging into syslog would by default not do the right
>   thing and would be extremely confusing. I could see adding options
>   for dpkg and u-a, but they would definitely not be enabled by default.

Logging into syslog would do the right thing when there's a syslog
daemon running in the chroot.

Also, I'd have no objection to "if there's no syslog available, log to a
standalone file", or similar, to ensure that messages don't get lost.

Options would certainly be helpful (particularly if it were possible to
drop configuration files in directories like /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg.d/ and
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/), but it'd be far more useful if we can find an
autodetection mechanism that does the right thing by default.