Re: Removing conflicts of init system

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 05:54:26PM +0100, Guillem Jover wrote:
> On Fri, 2018-12-21 at 23:57:38 +0100, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> > On Fri, 21 Dec 2018, Dmitry Bogatov wrote:
> >
> > > I propose to replace current approach with update-alternatives(1)
> > […]
> > > Opinions?
>
> > No. update-alternatives is too fragile to handle things like
> > /bin/sh and init(8).
>
> While this certainly used to be true, I don't it has been the case for
> a long time now? It seems like oral tradition to me now. :) There is I
> think a single non-wishlist bug report against u-a in the BTS. So if
> there are still problems I'd be more than happy to hear about them.

I believe this is a misconception based on an actual problem: the
alternatives system cannot be used for /bin/sh symlinks as 1. it uses shell
scripts itself (making it impossible to recover) and 2. is not atomic,
leaving a brief time window when there's no /bin/sh.

Nothing of that issue applies to /bin/init which is ever executed only
during the boot process then at controlled moment during package updates.

(I haven't been involved in that change, thus it's likely my belief is
inaccurate.)

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Ivan was a worldly man: born in St. Petersburg, raised in