Re: Migrating away from ucf without dpkg prompting

Hi Mark,

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 02:21:03PM +0100, Mark Hindley wrote:
> Hello,

> I am working on fixing bug #905178 which is caused by moving away from using ucf
> to manage /etc/default/apt-cacher back to handling it as a standard dpkg
> conffile.

> I have a working solution which avoids unnecessary prompting. This is to remove
> the ucf version of the file in the preinst unless it is modified. dpkg then
> installs the new version without prompting.

> Can I check that this is the correct way to address it, or should I take an
> alternative approach?

I would strongly discourage moving from ucf management to dpkg conffiles in
the first place.  That's a regression in the user experience; the
inflexibilities of conffile handling are well known and interest has been
expressed on debian-dpkg in integrating ucf-like options into dpkg itself.
I don't see any reason why, when someone has gone to the effort of
implementing ucf support for a given config file, you would ever want to
revert to conffile handling instead.

And dropping ucf handling is certainly not required for addressing Policy
4.1.3 compatibility, which is what you mention in the changelog.

Why do you think it's necessary here to revert to a conffile?

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/