Re: Q: Debian position on bundled libraries

On 23/08/18 09:26, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 12:59 PM, Alec Leamas wrote:
>
>> Here is some libraries to unbundle; this could certainly could be done,
>> However, the core issue is a few libraries which cannot realistically be
>> unbundled. One example is mygdal, a heavily patched subset of the gdal
>> package.

>> So, before proceeding with this work I'd like to know how to handle a
>> situation like this. Under what conditions (if any) is bundling actually OK?
>
> Personally, I don't think it is ever acceptable.

It's not that I don't understand your reasoning. Still, if this is the
conclusion, it's kind of sad because it's means that a price-awarded [1]
application won't be packaged in Debian. Upstream is very clear on this.

OTOH, it will be available as a flatpak package (sandboxed, FWIW) which
should satisfy most users. But the embedded communities would really
need a pure Debian package.

I also note that this was the position in Fedora (some years ago I
actually felt that Debian was more flexible then Fedora on this). Fedora
today basically allows bundling. Fedora is not Debian, though.

Cheers!
--alec

[1] https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/info/newspgI.html