Re: Q: Debian position on bundled libraries

Le jeudi 23 août 2018 à 09:31:09+0200, Alec Leamas a écrit :
> On 23/08/18 08:34, Pierre-Elliott Bécue wrote:
> > Le jeudi 23 août 2018 à 06:59:45+0200, Alec Leamas a écrit :
> >> [may I keep bundled libraries?]
>
> Thanks for reply!
>
> > I'd say that as soon as there's no other way of having your package work
> > (right, there's always another way, but my guess is that we don't expect
> > someone to do hours of work that'll be a pain in the ass to maintain just
> > for that, especially if the bundled library is a patched set of the original
> > one) properly, it won't be a problem
> Looking at [1], do you agree that this is along these lines?

It's an excellent start. But I guess for gdal, it could be worth trying to
ping both upstreams to find a solution that works fine without embedding.
Even for OpenCPN it's probably worth it not to maintaining this fork by
themselves.

> > That said, you'll have to reference properly the d/copyright file,
>
> I have updated d/copyright in [2].
>
> > and you
> > should probably strip out all trivially out-strippable libraries that are
> > already packaged in Debian or packageable by themselves.
>
> ... and be done with it. If we could confirm this, that's what I'm
> actually looking for. In a previous packaging attempt this window seemed
> very small [3], but there has been water under bridges since that
> discussion.

I can't really help with this, being out of time for now. :(

> > [1] https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#s-embeddedfiles
>
> Yes... but the interpretation of this is the very issue here. It's IMHO
> far from crystal-clear.

Yes, and I guess it's probably designed that way willingly.

The whole question is to decide wether the risk an embedded copy is
acceptable or too high. Mind that in the end, the FTP team has the final say
regarding this matter.

To try to have an explicit strict rule is the best way to face issues that
could be avoided.

--
Pierre-Elliott Bécue
GPG: 9AE0 4D98 6400 E3B6 7528  F493 0D44 2664 1949 74E2