Re: Q: Debian position on bundled libraries

On 23/08/18 08:34, Pierre-Elliott Bécue wrote:
> Le jeudi 23 août 2018 à 06:59:45+0200, Alec Leamas a écrit :
>> [may I keep bundled libraries?]

Thanks for reply!

> I'd say that as soon as there's no other way of having your package work
> (right, there's always another way, but my guess is that we don't expect
> someone to do hours of work that'll be a pain in the ass to maintain just
> for that, especially if the bundled library is a patched set of the original
> one) properly, it won't be a problem
Looking at [1], do you agree that this is along these lines?

> That said, you'll have to reference properly the d/copyright file,

I have updated d/copyright in [2].

> and you
> should probably strip out all trivially out-strippable libraries that are
> already packaged in Debian or packageable by themselves.

... and be done with it. If we could confirm this, that's what I'm
actually looking for. In a previous packaging attempt this window seemed
very small [3], but there has been water under bridges since that
discussion.

> [1] https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#s-embeddedfiles

Yes... but the interpretation of this is the very issue here. It's IMHO
far from crystal-clear.

Cheers!

--alec

[1] https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/issues/1124