Re: Q: Debian position on bundled libraries

Le jeudi 23 août 2018 à 06:59:45+0200, Alec Leamas a écrit :
> [may I keep bundled libraries?]

Hi Alec,

Please note that I'm a little new to the Policy and these packaging
questions, so my thoughts probably require to be confirmed by a more
experimented person.

Per Debian's Policy section 4.13[1], the embedding of a code from an
other software packages should be avoided, unless the included package is
explicitly intended to work this way.

I'd say that as soon as there's no other way of having your package work
(right, there's always another way, but my guess is that we don't expect
someone to do hours of work that'll be a pain in the ass to maintain just
for that, especially if the bundled library is a patched set of the original
one) properly, it won't be a problem.

That said, you'll have to reference properly the d/copyright file, and you
should probably strip out all trivially out-strippable libraries that are
already packaged in Debian or packageable by themselves.

HTH.

[1] https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#s-embeddedfiles

--
Pierre-Elliott Bécue
GPG: 9AE0 4D98 6400 E3B6 7528  F493 0D44 2664 1949 74E2