Q: Debian position on bundled libraries

Dear list,

Still investigating packaging opencpn[1]. In this context I have looked
into the bundling [2].

Here is some libraries to unbundle; this could certainly could be done,
However, the core issue is a few libraries which cannot realistically be
unbundled. One example is mygdal, a heavily patched subset of the gdal
package.

So, before proceeding with this work I'd like to know how to handle a
situation like this. Under what conditions (if any) is bundling actually OK?

I deliberately avoid the "convenience copy" term used by the Policy
Manual since i think the term bundled is more accurate here - the plain
copies are not a problem.

Cheers!
--alec

[1] https://opencpn.org/