Re: salsa.debian.org maintenance (GitLab 11.1.4 upgrade, external storage migration)

On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 11:55:19PM +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 08/18/2018 01:11 PM, Bastian Blank wrote:
> First, there's dozens of OpenStack public cloud out there, so you're not
> locked-in with a single operator.

There exists thousand variants how to setup an OpenStack instance.  Just
leave out some specific service and it's not longer compatible with your
project.  So you not just need to find an OpenStack operator, you need
to find an operator who provides the correct set of services you need.

> Then there's not a single contributor
> to the OpenStack source code, the contributors are quite diverse.

A friend of mine called OpenStack a dysfunctional open source project.
Especially the number of different people giving the shots and running
in different directions does not help.  (No project in OpenStack looks
alike.  Just look at all the different variants for how to maintain the
database schema.)

> To the contrary, if you're using a proprietary cloud like AWS, you have
> no choice but to continue with them.

If you depend on the _interfaces_ they provide.  AWS, at least most
parts of it, is easily replaceable.

> > Endorse is something different, please read yourself
> > https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/endorse or
> > http://www.learnersdictionary.com/definition/endorse
>
> Well, it's a question of view. To me, having Salsa to host some of its
> data on Google is a kind of tacit endorsement. Even worse, it gives the
> message that, from the viewpoint of the whole Debian community, it's ok
> to host there. Clearly, I'm not the only one bothered in this way.

No, it's how the word is defined in the english language.

Bastian

--
Emotions are alien to me.  I'm a scientist.
		-- Spock, "This Side of Paradise", stardate 3417.3