Re: salsa.debian.org maintenance (GitLab 11.1.4 upgrade, external storage migration)

Hi Thomas

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 11:12:01PM +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Wouter, I very much do not agree with your argumentation. Please read
> this video:
> https://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2018/DebConf18/2018-07-30/server-freedom-why-choosing-the-cloud-op.webm

Do you have some abstract for this?  I watched it and still don't know
what you want to say here.

>                                                Also, using a free
> implementation avoids vendor lock-in,

Could you please be more specific on what vendor lock-in you mean?

If I build an application using Kubernetes and Helm, I'm using only free
components, but I'm still locked-in, as there is only one
implementation.  If I do the same using the OpenStack API, I'm locked-in
as there exist only one implementation of this API.

In our case all the components can utilize multiple backends, so we can
freely choose which one to use.  Including completely free alternatives
like ceph with radosgw or minio.

>                                       and provides proven (and tested on
> a CI, for the case of OpenStack) interoperability.

I'm pretty sure all the Cloud vendors do heavy tests on all sorts.  To
be exact, I know they do.  They just don't show you all of it.  So this
is no unique selling point for OpenStack.

> And there's what Jeremy replied to you. We shall not endorse non-free.

No, he just said we should prefer to use free ones.

Endorse is something different, please read yourself
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/endorse or
http://www.learnersdictionary.com/definition/endorse

> Though what I agree very much about, is that we'd get more freedom if we
> were self-hosting fully. One always do.

You primarily got more work to do.

Bastian

--
You!  What PLANET is this!
		-- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0