Re: Notification of merge requests on Salsa

> On Aug 17, 2018, at 21:17, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 10:05 PM, Jacob Adams wrote:
>>
>> So even if we could change it, it would flood everyone's inbox. I
>> suppose the only solution is to always @mention the package maintainer
>> when submitting a merge request. I suspect most haven't looked at their
>> notification settings and so that's probably the only way to guarantee
>> an email to the maintainer.
>
> Even that isn't a guarantee, since the maintainer could have disabled
> all notifications.

Certainly. “guarantee” was probably too strong. Even with email notifications one could simply not check their email.

But it’s as close as we can get to the email workflow that Debian usually operates by, assuming, again, that most people don’t change their notification settings.

I’m sure I’m not the only one to have missed a merge request for a while thanks to the lack of notifications, but also we don’t want DDs inboxes flooded with every merge request in the Debian group.

My concern is that newcomers will have their merge requests ignored when maintainers are not emailed. I see no workable solution as yet, so I’ll have to look more into this and come back to this thread when I find one.

Thanks,
Jacob