Re: salsa.debian.org maintenance (GitLab 11.1.4 upgrade, external storage migration)

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 01:46:00PM +0000, Ulrike Uhlig wrote:
> Consent
> -------
>
> I feel like we're currently balancing on a thin cobweb of fait accompli.
> Are such decisions team internal or do they require the consent of the
> project?

There is no notion of a project consent in Debian, apart from a GR.

> How does this entire issue relate to the GDPR?

It does not, as this information does not contain personal data.

> How does this relate to our Social Contract?
>
>   - 4. "Our priorities are our users and free software". This is very
>     vague but one could argue that this paragraph is not entirely
>     respected.

It is.  We try to provide our users the best service we can.

> Data
> ----
>
> Google Cloud storage is tightly linked to their AI & big data analytics
> features which I personally find highly questionable.

Please explain.  Google Cloud storage is just a large disk.  The
analytics stuff can access the data if it got the authorization to
access it.

>                                                       As this
> intelligent cute monster feeds on data and metadata, it's part of its
> ecosystem to provide free services in order to get more free food.
> (Mentioning this because Marco d'Itri was raising the issue of having to
> pay for storage.)

Google Cloud storage is no free service.  We certainly pay for it; with
Google's money, but still.

> To end with, I believe that a self-hosted solution would address all of
> these issues.

This is nice, but incorrect.

Regards,
Bastian

--
The sight of death frightens them [Earthers].
		-- Kras the Klingon, "Friday's Child", stardate 3497.2