Re: What to do about packages with dead alioth lists as the maintainer.

On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 07:13:06PM +0100, peter green wrote:
> Nearly 3 months ago there was a mass bug filing on packages with dead
> alioth lists as maintainer.  Many of these bugs are still open with no
> maintainer response
>
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?include=subject%3Alists.alioth.debian.org;submitter=debian.axhn%40manchmal.in-ulm.de
>
> What should be done about these in the event that the maintainers don't
> sort it out?  is it reasonable to make a NMU promoting the first
> co-maintainer to maintainer?  is it reasonable to make a NMU orphaning the
> package?  (and if-so should the list of co-maintainers be left in place?)
> In either case should a final warning be sent to the package's
> co-maintainers?

A side effect of these bugs is a query: "is anyone still maintaining this?".
Thus, it feels really wrong to NMU to falsely claim so.

Unlike single-person maintainers where there's MIA (which still doesn't
detect a person active elsewhere but neglecting the package), there's no
real way to detect an AWOL team.  Except this.

Thus, we have a nice list of no longer active teams.  That's good, we should
make this happen more often.

So, what about sending a warning now then orphaning in, say, 3-6 months from
now?

Meow.
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ So a Hungarian gypsy mountainman, lumberjack by day job,
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ brigand by, uhm, hobby, invented a dish: goulash on potato