Re: Questions about packaging systemd unit files

On Sun, 05 Aug 2018 at 16:52:46 -0400, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> 1) Am I right in understanding that after modifying or adding any
>    systemd unit or timer files, I must run "systemctl daemon-reload"?

Yes, but preferably via dh_installinit (if you also have a corresponding
LSB/sysvinit script, like most daemons) or dh_installsystemd (if not,
like e.g. systemd-cron or quake4-server) rather than directly.

> 2) How is this supposed to be done as part of a debian package
>    install?  Should the package maintainer scripts do this in, say,
>    the package's postinst file?

Yes, preferably via dh_installinit or dh_installsystemd.

> 3) Should the maintainer scripts call "systemctl daemon-reload"
>    directly or is there some way that changes to systemd unit files
>    are batched so a single "systemctl daemon-reload" is called when
>    dpkg install run is completed?

systemctl daemon-reload is not currently batched. I'm not sure whether
it's suitable for being batched via dpkg triggers, because other packages
that depend on your package are entitled to assume that your service
has been set up before their postinsts run. If it is batched via dpkg
triggers at some point in future, dh_installinit/dh_installsystemd should
always do the currently-recommended thing.

    smcv