Re: interpretation of wontfix

On Thu, 2018-03-29 at 14:02 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Don Armstrong writes ("Re: interpretation of wontfix"):
> > 2) wontfix+help: this bug requires too much effort to fix, so I won't be
> >    working on it, but patches will be accepted.
>
> I dislike the use of "help" in this context.  If the maintainers think
> the bug is not worth their *own* time, it seems perverse for the
> maintainers to set a tag which suggests to other contributors that
> they should spend *their* time on it.

The case which caused this thread was[0] "maintainer does not have the
time/inclination to investigate/fix bugs on this non-release
architecture", the implication being that "the porters of that arch
should deal with this bug and provide a patch which the maintainer will
evaluate".

To that end perhaps this is a special enough case of "help" that a
specific "porter" tag is warranted? (or perhaps a set of "porter-ARCH"
tags or a combination of "porter" and "ARCH" tags, or whatever). In
fact I don't see why we would limit it to non-release arches, it seems
useful for release arches too.

Or perhaps this just needs a consensus on the appropriate use of some
`port@debian.org` usertags?

Ian.

[0] approximately and appologies if I've grossly mischaracterized this.