Re: Usage of real m68k hardware

Andreas Tille writes ("Re: Usage of real m68k hardware"):
> Just to not make that mistake again:  Is it the
>
>   "I'm wondering when it might be time to fully drop a hardware
>    port instead of draining developer time for ethernity"
>
> in my mail you stumbled upon.  May be its the language barrier but I do
> not think that if a random developer is wondering about something this
> is equivalent to "asking for the ultima ratio".  I was honestly thinking
> about whether we are keeping alive an architecture by everybody using
> emulators.  I try to be more careful in my wording in the future when
> asking questions about ports (and hope I will manage).

I read your the part you quote above as a rhetorical question[1], and
I also found it very aggressive.

I don't think that there is a way to "ask the question" about whether
someone's work should be destroyed which would not be perceived as
very hostile and aggressive.

I would recommend completely avoiding questions like "should we drop
port X" unless you actually mean that you think the port should be
dropped.  Since that is the way everyone will read it.

Thanks,
Ian.
(who has fond memories of m68k from 1993 and earlier)

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhetorical_question