Re: New lintian warning: vcs-deprecated-in-debian-infrastructure

On 14986 March 1977, Ole Streicher wrote:

> .... which IMO proves that a sophisticated "layout" with namespaces or
> subdirs is a bad idea for canonical URLs.
> Why can't we have a flat name space with redirection
> https://git.debian.org/<package>
> (or similar) that just redirects to the proper real location within salsa?
> Our source package names are unique, so there should be no conflicts.

Thats called packages.debian.org in combination with the vcs urls and
exists for a long time. It can be argued that the way of updating the
vcs urls stuff ought to be different, but the above wish already exists.

> That would make the discovery of a certain package *much* easier than
> the current structured approach.

packages.d.o/packagename and you are there. Nothing else needed.
Even independent of the underlying vcs, not hardcoded to git or one
provider of hosting it.

--
bye, Joerg