Re: New lintian warning: vcs-deprecated-in-debian-infrastructure

On Thu, 22 Mar 2018, Andreas Tille wrote:

> Hi Lars,
>
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 12:47:44PM +0200, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> > On Thu, 2018-03-22 at 09:58 +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > > I admit I do not agree with this and it was discussed here before.  Can
> > > we please agree that anonscm.debian.org remains a valid URL and stop
> > > starting another round of package uploads for the sake of changing Vcs
> > > fields.
> >
> > I'm repeating myself, but could we please find another way to store
> > this information than in the source package?
>
> I agree (and others did as well)
>
> > I'd like to see all of
> > the following stored somewhere else than the source package:
> >
> > * Maintainer, Uploaders
> > * Vcs-*
> > * Homepage
> > * debian/watch
>
>  * debian/upstream/*
>    (see Wiki[1])
>
> > Possibly also Section and Priority.
> >
> > All of the above can change and it's silly to have to make a source
> > upload to change them. They also easily get out of date and so are
> > likely out of date for a stable release.
> >
> > I envision a service, metadata.debian.org, with a suitable
> > authenticated API to allow Debian package maintainers to update the
> > information, and having tracker.debian.org, dak, and other parties
> > fetch the data from metadata service, for inclusion in, say, Packages
> > files.
>
> I think there is some general agreement about this.
>
> > I think this would be a better thing to spend time on than talking
> > again about keeping anonscm around.
>
> On the other hand the current timing does not allow for a probably
> complex implementation and a http redirect which is even implemented[2]
> can help to relax the situation we are currently facing.  I admit I
> expected the kind of response since it seems related but my posting was
> targetting to help for the next couple of monthes and not for discussing
> something that will hopefully implemented in the next couple of years.
This was not was you were asking for. The temporary workaround is there (the
redirector), but that doesn't mean your vcs entries are right. The lintian
check is right. We expect you to fix those entries with the next upload and
thats where the check is coming in. And by the way: I implemented the
redirector especially for you.

Alex

P.S. There will be a longer answer from someone of the alioth team, I am just
too tired to explain that all again.