PTS, salsa and knowing if a Debian Maintainer has uploaded a point release.

Dear all,

While I read some bits of [1] I haven't read through the whole thread,
only some. While the gentleman concerned has shared about getting
through the 'new' process, I feel even for users some parts could use
more love.

Now as I understand it and please share if I'm in the wrong,  alioth
is going away and salsa is taking over repository creation, branching
and maybe at some point also the BTS although then reportbug would
have to be retooled to query salsa/gitlab so similar functionality can
be provided as it does for bug creation .

Now I know that debian has a watch file by which the maintainers of
packages come to know of new upstream binary releases as and when they
do and at times there maybe a time lag between upstream and getting
the binary in unstable.

Now if the package maintainer is just a DM, even (s)f he prepares a
package, (s)he still needs the ok of a DD to upload/sponsor the
package so it fit for distribution i.e. new, experimental or unstable
and  ftp-mirror and that whole process.

Now a user of the package is usually in the dark about this and there
is a possibility of upsetting the maintainer even though the person is
active on their own team.

I looked at the tracker.debian.org BTS page and saw [2] 317711 which
exactly talks of this kind of situation and more and this was filed in
2005 so it isn't something which isn't known, just hasn't been
acknowledged.

This unknowing became apparent to me when the debian-mate were doing
packaging for the 1.20.0 release [3] and more recently when I am
asking for a point release of qbittorrent [4] . In this case I know
that the maintainer is usually pretty active and perhaps uses the
package as well.

I'm no programmer but just a mere user. I'm not subscribed to the list
so please CC me if somebody responds.

1. https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2018/03/msg00128.html
2. bugs. debian.org/317711
3. https://lists.debian.org/debian-mate/2018/02/msg00152.html