Re: Updated proposal for improving the FTP NEW process

On Wed, Mar 07, 2018 at 08:35:08PM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> Gert Wollny <gw.fossdev@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > […] simply asking the peers doesn't make the process very public.
>
> That is, IIUC, by design and for good reason.
>
> Before a review of the copyright status of the work is done, we don't
> have confidence the Debian Project has permission to redistribute it
> publicly.
>
> If it turns out the work is not redistributable by the Debian Project,
> it is then too late; and the case could be made that we should not allow
> that situation to arise (i.e. we should not redistribute before we have
> confidence the work can legally be permitted by us).
>
> So, putting it up on some public Debian infrastructure before it passes
> review is, IIUC, problematic for that reason at least.

This argument doesn't pass laugh test.

There's plenty of places where anyone -- not a DD, not a DM -- can
distribute arbitrary files using Debian infrastructure.  Beside the obvious
(Alioth, Salsa), there's the BTS.  Mailing list archives.  Wiki.  Etc, etc.

On the other hand, to upload to NEW, you need to be a full DD.  Ie, the file
being _temporarily_ distributed passed judgement of someone who passed a
lengthy process that includes copyright training.  Not even a DM is
considered good enough.  Such a person may still make a mistake but it'd
be something minor (you can look at REJECTs you got yourself).  And then,
NEW is a temporary staging area where files get removed after review.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ A dumb species has no way to open a tuna can.