Re: Updated proposal for improving the FTP NEW process

Am Mittwoch, den 07.03.2018, 20:35 +1100 schrieb Ben Finney:
> Gert Wollny <gw.fossdev@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > […] simply asking the peers doesn't make the process very public.
>
> That is, IIUC, by design and for good reason.

> Before a review of the copyright status of the work is done, we don't
> have confidence the Debian Project has permission to redistribute it
> publicly.

Besides of what I wrote below, even if the package in question would
not be in a public accessable place, handling the comments of such a
review in a public discussion (or BTS) should be not a problem.

> If it turns out the work is not redistributable by the Debian
> Project, it is then too late; and the case could be made that we
> should not allow that situation to arise (i.e. we should not
> redistribute before we have confidence the work can legally be
> permitted by us).
>
> So, putting it up on some public Debian infrastructure before it
> passes review is, IIUC, problematic for that reason at least.

As far as I can see, salsa.d.o is open to the public, and so is
mentors.d.n, both places where people would typically prepare or upload
 packages also before passing NEW for the first time. In the case of
mentors they actually have to upload their packages there.

So if there was an intention like this, it is not handled well.

Best,
Gert