Re: Updated proposal for improving the FTP NEW process

On Wed, Mar 07, 2018 at 06:02:10AM +0000, Chris Lamb wrote:

> > > That would seem to justify some sort of randomized spot checks
> > > [..]
> >
> > Exactly.
>
> Whilst it does seem a little odd, there is some merit the current
> system where packages get essentially-arbitrary chosen for a cursory
> glance by a member the FTP team.

Speaking as someone who has taken over a package, been negligent in
ensuring debian/copyright was up to date and hit NEW as the result of a
soname update I am grateful for the time that the FTP team (Chris, as it
happens) invested to do a quick sanity check and tell me I was an idiot.
As a result I discovered licensecheck and have become much better
(though I doubt perfect) at ensuring such things stay up to date.

If we had enough spare people power then I've no doubt a concerted sweep
across the archive would find lots of packages that could do with some
TLC, whether copyrights or elsewhere, but realistically that's just not
going to happen.

J.

--
] https://www.earth.li/~noodles/ []  Minorities are the foundation of  [