Re: Updated proposal for improving the FTP NEW process

On Monday, March 05, 2018 04:00:06 PM W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> Quoting Chris Lamb <lamby@debian.org>:
> >> In many cases, there is an issue open about the new binary package
> >
> > (In my experience, there is not.)
> >
> >> When there is no bug report open at all, well, bad luck.
> >
> > Well, possbibly, but if one is investing time and effort in changing a
> > process it seems a shame not to cover these cases IMHO. :)
>
> True. Proposal: Maintainer should make sure they have a bug open about
> any new binary packages and close them with the upload. If they forget
> this "goto badluck;".

Here's a thought:

How about documenting the reason for the change in the "changelog".  It can be
frustrating reviewing a package with a new binary and zero information is
provided about why it's there.

We already have debian/changelog that's designed explicitly for this kind of
information, if only more maintainers would actually use it.

This has the added advantage of making the information available to system
administrators who would like to understand why they have a new package on
upgrade.

Scott K