Re: A proposal for improving transparency of the FTP NEW process

Gert Wollny <gw.fossdev@gmail.com> writes:

> Am Freitag, den 02.03.2018, 17:49 +0100 schrieb Philip Hands:
>> Gert Wollny <gw.fossdev@gmail.com> writes:

>> > The information is all there big parts of it just can't be
>> > automatically extracted (mostly the copyright information),
>>
>> Would you be so kind as to cite some examples of copyright
>> information that is there but not automatically extractable, just so
>> that we can get an idea of what you have in mind?
>
> Sspecifically in vtk7 there are two main issues, one is that in nearly
> all files the main copyright header is
>
>   Copyright (c) Ken Martin, Will Schroeder, Bill Lorensen
>   All rights reserved.
>   See Copyright.txt or http://www.kitware.com/Copyright.htm for
>   details.
>
>      This software is distributed WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even
>      the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A ARTICULAR
>      PURPOSE.  See the above copyright notice for more information.
>
> Which means licensecheck will report an unknown license,

While licensecheck might not be able to do that right now, it is clear
that it would be trivial to automatically detect that text, which is why
I asked.

Perhaps it's more work than licensecheck, or doesn't suit your
requirements, but there is also license-reconcile.

license-reconcile lets you add rules to deal with things that it doesn't
understand out of the box:

  http://git.hands.com/?p=freeswitch.git;a=blob;f=debian/license-reconcile.yml;h=0e40cba01eeb67f82d18ca8f11210271848d0549;hb=refs/heads/copyright2

(as you can see, freeswitch is quite a jumble when it comes to
copyright)

Cheers, Phil.