Re: salsa.debian.org (git.debian.org replacement) going into beta

Hello,

On Thu, 04 Jan 2018, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 01:01:15PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > I agree. I have plans to create email addresses like
> > team+<team-slug>@tracker.debian.org that could be used for this purpose.
> > The package tracker would automatically add those packages to the
> > respective team.
>
> Sounds much better, yeah.
[...]
> So please give me something that I can stick into the maintainer field to
> have as many tools as possible DTRT.

As a first step, I have implemented team+<team-slug>@tracker.debian.org as
a black hole (i.e. incoming emails are dropped):
https://salsa.debian.org/qa/distro-tracker/commit/bf4706f53b4fff7c102d1355b4af72553bc96500

On Thu, 04 Jan 2018, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 7:01 AM, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
> > We could then expand the use of this email address also for discussion
> > between team members.
>
> If it looks like an email address, I think people will expect to be
> able to email it without having to join a team first. Or at least I
> think people would expect a reject message explaining what to do for
> the email to be delivered. (Maybe that's what you meant, but it wasn't
> clear to me.)

Yes, it should be usable by everybody, and not restricted to team members.

But to avoid spam, we will probably have to implement a whitelist of some
sort.

Another open question is who should get the mails sent to that address.

Currently mails should probably be sent to all team members who have not muted the
team and who have not disabled the "contact" keyword. But this makes it
hard to subscribe to a very large team to get the team-level messages but
not the package-level messages.

We should really have different subscriptions models:
- team emails only
- team emails and all package emails
- team emails, all package emails except for (blacklist)
- team emails, no package emails except for (whitelist)

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer