Re: xvi patch to generate UDEB for Debian-Installer

Niltze, Martin-

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 1:43 PM, Martin Guy <martinwguy@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/06/2017, Jose R R <jose.r.r@metztli.com> wrote:
>> Niltze [Hello]-
>>
>> If anyone finds it useful, of course, attached please find a patch to
>> generate a small xvi UDEB -- suitable for embedding in d-i.
>
> Many thanks - duly applied in git master.
>
> Just one thought, maybe for a udeb we should use -Os and maybe clang,
> which drops the code size from 160K to 100K, compared to gcc -O2. What
> do you think?

Of course, you are the expert -- I just hack on whatever is out there
to suit whatever happens to be my current interest.

I just hate nano, which is currently embedded by default in
debian-installer (d-i). And even though it is unlikely debian
maintainer of d-i will change his mind, I think other vi people will
find your xvi useful for embedded applications --especially if its
size is reduced further.

As it stands now, I built elvis-tiny and embedded into my d-i
distribution hack; I like it, notwithstanding there are bugs which
have not been addressed (no one updates its code anymore, it seems)
and sometimes manifest themselves when doing editing. I am aware of
them but those quirks may confuse any unsuspecting user.

Thank you very much for your suggestion and elaborating on accepting the patch.

P.S. Here is currently how xvi stacks up against competitor editor
UDEBs; (the nano UDEB is the Debian maintainers' build and likely has
been optimized -- as you suggested for xvi.) Additionally, please note
size may differ as I build & operate on transparent compression
Reiser4 file systems.

du -hs *udeb
64K elvis-tiny-udeb_1.4-23.1_amd64.udeb
64K nano-udeb_2.7.4-1_amd64.udeb