Re: DEP 15: Reserved namespace for DD-approved non-maintainer changes

Hello Jeremy,

On Wed, Jun 07, 2017 at 05:06:10PM -0400, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 4:56 PM, Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name> wrote:
> > I am hereby reserving DEP number 15 for my draft DEP, "Reserved
> > namespaces for DD-approved non-maintainer changes".
>
> I think this proposal somewhat contradicts DEP-14.

I forgot to include in the draft an explanation for why this is separate
to DEP-14.  DEP-14's reserved namespaces are meant to be present in
every clone of the repository.  By contrast, DEP-15 reserves a namespace
that should not be present in every clone.

That being said, I don't see why it /contradicts/ DEP-14.  Perhaps you
could explain.

> It also feels to me like this proposal is another way of pushing dgit?

It doesn't require dgit.  I tried to state this as clearly as I could in
the text of the DEP.  dgit-repos is the suggested implementation, but
from the point of view of a DD/DM, it's just a git remote that requires
PGP-signed pushes, which is part of upstream git.

--
Sean Whitton