Re: Auto-update for sid? Auto-backport?

Adrian Bunk writes ("Re: Auto-update for sid? Auto-backport?"):
> Sometimes I see bug reports in the BTS where it is evident that a user
> has spent hours or days on debugging an issue and writing a marvelous
> bug report. I read the bug 10 years later with no other message ever
> in the bug.
>
> That's sad to read, and a disservice to our users.

It's sad, indeed.  But is it a disservice ?

We didn't _make_ the user spend their time debugging it.  They
probably did that because the package was useful enough to them to
warrant it.  That user is probably better off with the package, even
in its unfortunate languishing state, than without it.

The same can go for other users, who probaby prefer a package in
Debian that they may have to apply a patch from the BTS to, to no
package at all.

Ian.