Re: Auto-update for sid? Auto-backport?

Hi Jeremy,

On 18.11.17 01:12, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 7:00 PM, Steffen Möller <steffen_moeller@gmx.de> wrote:
>> If the positive vibes I have felt are kept up then I propose the
>> individuals running relevant services in/around Debian (ftpmasters, web,
>> backports, mentors, ...) determine what team then takes that summary to
>> transform it into a white paper that proposes steps to address so we
>> eventually have something to have a vote about?!
> Why don't you (or someone) work on an opt-in service to help automate
> everything *except* for the actual upload to Debian part? Since that's
> the part that is controversial and complicated to set up in a trusted
> way. I don't think you need a vote to work on implementing and
> offering the rest.
I was impressed by the work that Guido has described (see
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2017/11/msg00154.html).
He would certainly be one of the first individuals I feel like contacting
about something from where to grow.

My request was less about the technicality and more about learning
to what degree what kind of uploads would find general or partial
acceptance in our community.

But you are right, an external service is a safe bet as a first start that
we do not need to vote about - nor would I need to ask ;) However,
any such automation is something, if brought closer to Debian, that
has the potential to change us quite a bit. I felt that more than one
individual should be involved and at least should I myself be the
one to set it up, I would want (most of) you (all) to want it.

Best,

Steffen