Re: Auto-update for sid? Auto-backport?

Le mercredi, 15 novembre 2017, 16.43:17 h CET Steffen Möller a écrit :
> I would really like to see updates performed in some automated fashion.

Debian updates are in fact different steps:
* inclusion of upstream changes;
* packaging updates;
* .changes signing with a key in the Debian keyring;
* dput of the .changes and associated files.

The two first ones can (and often should) be automated, but a human check
should happen at either of the two latter ones, most probably the signing one,
as that where the uploading DD certifies the upload.

People in various areas of Debian (as well as outside) have automated one or
multiple of these steps, but with uploads outside of Debian suites: automated
build from git heads, automated uploads to reprepro repositories, etc. But I'm
not aware of unsupervised uploads to Debian.

(At this point of the discussion, it seems to me that an unsupervised upload
to Debian unstable is not a problem _per se_; a broken one would certainly be
though.)

> Maybe into a different section of Debian like sid-auto? The problem with
> that obviously is the missing scrutiny by the human maintainer, so it
> cannot go straight into sid. Or can it?

An interesting infrastructure could provide a suite to which (unsigned ?)
source packages could be sent for build. The output would be a build log and a
_source.changes. As maintainer you'd be left with checking the build and
`debsign -r` the .changes file that could then be auto-dput to Debian.

Now that we have source only uploads, none of that would need to be on Debian
infrastructure; the build would be there merely for guaranteeing that your
package actually builds.

> Maybe with an auto-created bug report against the package so it does not
> auto-migrate into testing?

I would not (ab)use bugs for something that should also be automated. Iff
we're going to have automated uploads, then it should be somehow integrated in
britney: massaging bugs for that purpose feels wrong.

Cheers,
    OdyX