Re: Auto-update for sid? Auto-backport?

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 04:43:17PM +0100, Steffen Möller wrote:
> I would really like to see updates performed in some automated fashion.

I think this is an excelent idea, at least for the case of updates from
eg 2.0.3 to 2.0.4 or some such, and also of course accompanied with
automated tests.

I've also heard plans (early 2017) that some people in Fedora wanted to start
doing such things, but I dont think they have started by now, though I
might be wrong on that last bit. So, clearly, there are others who also
think that this is a good idea.

> Maybe into a different section of Debian like sid-auto? The problem with
> that obviously is the missing scrutiny by the human maintainer, so it
> cannot go straight into sid. Or can it? Maybe with an auto-created bug
> report against the package so it does not auto-migrate into testing?

Experimental seems like an ideal candidate to try this at first.

> A similar situation I see with backports.

Indeed.

Thanks for bringing this up!

--
cheers,
	Holger, who thinks we should automate what we can. Because