Re: RFC: Support for selective usage of (fake)root during package build (R³)

On Sat, Nov 04, 2017 at 07:14:00AM +0000, Niels Thykier wrote:
> Niels Thykier:
> > We have written a new specification for supporting selective usage of
> > (fake)root during package builds (see attached file).  The specification
> > defines a new field called "Rules-Requires-Root" (R³ for short) that
> > enables maintainers to define if and how their package requires root
> > during package build.
>
> While there has not been any comments / feedback on devel-devel, we have
> seen about 35-40 packages adopting R³ since the proposal was posted to
> debian-devel. :)
>   This puts us on about ~50 packages that can now build without
> (fake)root today (per [codesearch query]).

Have you perhaps gathered some data about how many packages would build
reproducibly wrt the old state after a blind mechanical change to R³?
I'd guess it's the vast majority (especially if you change MakeMaker).

I do have a concern: this adds a yet another field every new package needs
to manually set.  And even if in 10 years from now, the Policy will require
R³ to be set (even to "yes" ("binary-targets")), it'd be a manual effort for
every single package.

Thus, what about making R³ default to "no" in a new dh compat level?

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ Laws we want back: Poland, Dz.U. 1921 nr.30 poz.177 (also Dz.U.
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ 1920 nr.11 poz.61): Art.2: An official, guilty of accepting a gift