Re: question about build profile nocheck

On 2017-11-01 21:46 -0400, Afif Elghraoui wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The BuildProfileSpec on the wiki [1] defines the `nocheck` profile as:
>

> > No test suite should be run, and build dependencies used only for that
> purpose should be ignored. Builds that set this profile must also add
> `nocheck` to `DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS`
> ```
>
> I understand this as saying that the debhelper step for dh_auto_test or
> override_dh_auto_test would be automatically skipped if this profile is
> defined. Am I mistaken?

Yes. Somewhat discussed in https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=568897
and marked willnotfix.

Debhelper doesn't automagically do anything due to profiles SFAIK.

Hmm. actually it recently learned how to do nodoc automatically:

so having started down that slippery slope maybe it's time to ponder
568897 again as its under new management :-)

> I'm asking because I've seen the following
> pattern in a couple of packages already:
>
> ```
> ifeq (,$(findstring nocheck, $(DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS)))
> override_dh_auto_test:
> 	commands...
>         commands...
> else
> override_dh_auto_test:
> endif
> ```

Right, I generally expect the packaging to have to deal with
DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS, which deals with actions. DEB_BUILD_PROFILES deals
with dependencies (so dpkg and apt do some things automagically for
you).

Helmut and Josch have a lot more to with this recently than me and
will no doubt be along soon with chapter and verse.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/