Re: Removing Qt4 in Buster

On viernes, 27 de octubre de 2017 15:40:25 -03 Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 11:34:14AM -0300, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez
>
> Meyer wrote:
> >No, we are actively working towards removing Qt4 from the archive
> >during the Buster cycle. In this case libressl might help giving it a
> >little bit longer life, but nothing more.
>
> That's entirely up to you; but, that would not (and should not) prevent
> anyone else interested in doing so from maintaining qt4 in Debian, if
> they wished. That said, I in no uncertain terms and with great sadness
> lack the time to commit to it myself (and many other things I care about
> in Debian). So I fully expect it to be orphaned and removed.

With Qt3 we went that way: we did our best to get most stuff ported to Qt4
then when we knew we got most of the it done we did orphan it and after some
weeks without anyone adoptiong it we asked for it's removal.

Yes, we do understand that sometimes the only way out is to remove packages,
but porting from Qt4 to qt5 is not that difficult too (it's even easier than
the qt3 to Qt4 one).

I still think that if someone misses a Qt4-based app/lib the right thing to do
is to port it. That will give the app/lib a whole new lifespan too.

Regards, Lisandro.

--
Without us [Free Software developers], people would study computer science
and programming without ever having seen a real program in its entirety.

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/