Re: apt-get upgrade removing ifupdown on jessie→stretch upgrade

Quoting martin f krafft (2017-02-22 01:06:24)
> Hey,
>
> I just upgraded a system that had ifupdown from backports.org on it.
> Following cleanup and dpkg --audit etc., I ran
>
>   root@cymbaline:/etc/apt/sources.list.d# apt-get upgrade
>   Reading package lists... Done
>   Building dependency tree
>   Reading state information... Done
>   Calculating upgrade... Done
>   The following packages will be REMOVED:
>     ifupdown libasprintf0c2 libperl4-corelibs-perl libuuid-perl python-bson python-pymongo
>
> and indeed, it then went on to remove ifupdown.
>
> What am I not understanding right here? Shouldn't "apt-get upgrade"
> NEVER EVER EVER EVER remove something?
>
> Can I find out in hindsight (can't reproduce this) what might have
> happened?

Maybe your ifupdown was flagged as auto-installed, a recent prior APT
process upgraded to netbase 5.4 (no longer recommending ifupdown), and
your latest APT process just finished an auto-removal of the no longer
needed ifupdown for some reason not finalized earlier.

 - Jonas